Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Diversity

So it was Friday night and I was walking into Stewart Center. A middle aged man comes up to me and says, "Hey, maybe you can help me out." I ask him, "What can I do?"

"This is Purdue, right?"

I think to myself, "He's kidding, right?"

But he continues, "Purdue is one of these places that tried to embrace diversity, is it not? They try to get all sorts of people here. Well, I just can't but notice something. I was walking down the street there and I see a group of fifteen Chinese guys all talking to each other. Yesterday I saw this black culture thing where you can only go if you're black, and over here we have this group of middle eastern guys bonding with each other. How's that for diverse?"

"Interesting point."

"Well, it doesn't really matter. Just something I've noticed. Diversity is a dream."

He then opens the door to Stewart Center for me.



Something I didn't notice at the time was that he, a white male, picked out another white male (me) to share his observations with. Probably just a coincidence.

1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's weird.

I practically live with West Africans, and vice versa. Apparently he just went lookin' in the wrong place for "diversity"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home