Tuesday, February 07, 2006

OLS Exam

So this morning was the morning of our first OLS exam. I walk up to the doors of the Class of 50 lecture hall only to be systematically dehumanized by checkers at the door. "I need your student ID," was all that he uttered. As I pulled it out to show him that I am in fact who I say I am, he yanks it out of my hand! Agh!

With my gaze fixed to the floor and tail between my legs, I took my seat. The professor didn't even show up, but instead there was a proctor who was thoroughly enjoying his position of authority along with his ID-taking cronies. This proctor was young with a tucked in dress shirt, pocket protector, and glasses. His eyes lit up when a student walked in with a Treo. Contraband! The proctor seized the piece of electronic equipment and carefully examined it like a mother examines a newborn child.

Our tests were handed out. They were of multivarious colors, including but not limited to blue, pink, and green. I received a blue test. We were instructed to write the color of our test on our answer sheet, so I wrote Blue.

Halfway through the exam, the Treo started ringing. The proctor's cronies were aroused into a fruitless stir of hustle and bustle. One finally grabbed the Treo and answered it right as the person on the other end hangs up.

Five minutes later, the little Treo begins to ring again. This time, the proctor is on the case.

"Hello?
You've reached OLS 274. The party you're trying to reach is currently in class. Would you like to talk to him?
Oh, well then would you like to speak to one of the 200 students that you're interrupting right now?
Ok, well then, I suggest you stop calling."

Ten minutes later, the Treo rings again. About half the class begs the proctor to ignore it and shut the phone off. He was shamed into complying.

I finished my exam with about three minutes to spare, so I got into a very large line to turn in my test and reclaim my student ID. I handed my test to the cronie and he read my last name out loud so the other cronie could find my ID for me.

"Blue.. er, wait, that's the test"
"Nope. They're the same"

I grab my ID and head out to a much friendlier world. A much friendlier world consisting of AutoCAD. Unfortunately, we're finished drawing pretty shapes. Now we're doing potentially useful things. It's not quite as fun, but it's better than a tetanus shot.



I think I'll take a nap even though I'm halfway tempted to go off on a tangent about jazz music.

2 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger hatrick said...

I like my last name, though! I think I'll probably keep it when I get married..I can be Blue-Smith or something. Hah! That would be awesome. I'd be like a smithy of Blue! Or if I married someone else.. Blue-Doe! Blue-Jones! The possibilities are endless!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Edwin Allen Henry said...

Dude, that was a sweet post. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home